Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Traded.

Today I started a new job at the same place.

I'm no longer a general production intern. I'm now a part of the Clips & Clearances department.

It was a stark change at first but I've settled in after just one day here. The vibe is obviously less hectic yet still busy.

But as I walked into what will become my new regular restroom I had one of my Life-As-Baseball analogies about my life.

My last building was brand new, everything shiny, and still felt pristine. It felt strong. But it also felt like any character it would gain would not be infused into it for a long while.

It also felt like the American League. It was dominant, it was the main attraction, it was "It".

But the longer I stayed there the more I felt like I was becoming just another small speck on a large canvass, and there's nothing wrong with that, but I definitely thrive more in smaller groups.

I had already sent feelers out earlier last month to be traded to "The National League". Or the other building The Tonight Show also commandeers. Due to circumstances beyond my control and fate throwing me a sinker I was not chosen.

After a brief moment of devastation I was back at my regular post. Then last week I had another chance to get traded to a different team in the National league.

This time I jumped at the opportunity. And the transaction went through

From the beginning it was a completely different atmosphere.

But when I first saw what would become my new regular restroom was when it hit me. I no longer was on the "It" squad.

I had traded that for the older ballpark.

The walls were older and the architecture not as chic.

But I didn't see it that way. I was now in a classic building. Full of history. Not a forgotten one.

Just one that plays a different type of ball.

I was no longer part of the team that went for the long-ball all the time.

It was all about the small ball.


And, sometimes, that's more exciting and effective than going yard.

No comments: